Professional Development: Webinars, Websites & Ongoing Opportunities
Webinars and Online Resources
MEEA Webinars and "At-Home" Resources
Introductory Workshop on Climate Change Communication, facilitated by Hannah Phillips, Manager of Docents and Interpreters at the St. Louis Zoo, recorded 4/22/2020
Resources during the Coronavirus Pandemic – Changing collection of resources for parents and teachers, including citizen science opportunities, outdoor activities, timely webinars, online learning information, and home-based learning resources.
NAAEE: North American Association for Environmental Education
eeINSPIRE, monthly webinar series on a variety of EE topics, and topics relevant to COVID-19. Recordings available.
- Plugged In: A Practical Guide to Moving Place-Based Learning Online
- Centering Equity in EE’s COVID Response
- The Circular Economy: Creating the World We Want
- Communicating in Historic Times
- Bridging Formal and Nonformal EE to Bring Civic Action to Virtual Learning
VISION: An environmentally literate and engaged public is building more resilient communities resulting in a healthier, more sustainable future for all.
MISSION: To train a cadre of culturally diverse education professionals who have the knowledge, skills, and tools needed to deliver high-quality environmental education in formal and non-formal settings and to strengthen the environmental education field so it can sustain these efforts over the long-term.
Signup for eePRO to access many resources via the online hub.
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
The National Marine Sanctuary Webinar Series provides educators with educational and scientific expertise, resources and training to support ocean and climate literacy in the classroom. This series targets formal and informal educators that are engaging students (elementary through college) in formal classroom settings, as well as members of the community in informal educational venues (e.g. after school programs, science centers, aquariums, etc.).
NOAA Planet Stewards Archived Webinars
Spanning Time and Spatial Scales: Modeling our Planet’s Climate (3) – https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/education/planet-stewards/webinar-modeling-our-planets-climate.html
Using Simple Models in Climate Change Education (3) – https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/education/planet-stewards/webinar-models-in-climate-education.html
Visualizing Change (3) – http://vischange.org
An Audience-Focused Approach to Climate Communication, Education and Engagement (3) – https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/education/planet-stewards/webinar-climate-communication-education-engagement.html
Making Climate Communication Stick with Framing (3) – https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/education/planet-stewards/webinar-making-climate-com-stick-framing-climate-communication.html
Archived EE in Action Webinars
Archived Indoor Air Quality Webinars
Current EPA supported EE Professional Development can be found via NAAEE’s ee360 resources
Air Pollution Control Orientation Course (3) – This Web-based course is designed to be used independently, without an instructor. It is intended primarily for new employees in governmental air pollution control agencies. It may also be useful to people who are seeking basic knowledge about air pollution.
Watershed Management Course (3) – The Web site offers a variety of self-paced training modules that represent a basic and broad introduction to the watershed management field.
- Using a school-community partnership to cut Greenhouse gases Presenter: Dan Hendry Date and Time: Wednesday, August 26th, 2020, 7:30 p.m. EST
- Creative Solutions in Our Time of Crisis – Open Discussion Presenters: Dave Bauer, Jared Goodykoontz and Shakira Provasoli Date and Time: Wednesday, September 2nd, 2020, 7:30 p.m. EST
- Nature-Based Biology Activities from a Distance Presenter: Cathy Law Date and time: Wednesday, September 16th, 2020, 7:30–9:00 p.m. EST
Green Teacher Youtube Channel – webinars from the past 30 days can be viewed for free here
Online Course: Climate Action & COVID-19 Recovery — Practical Resilience Steps for Rural Communities (July 16-30, 2020) https://harbingerconsult.square.site/product/climate-action-covid-19-recovery-practical-resilience-steps-for-rural-communities-july-16-30-2020-/6?cs=true
Online Training: Promoting Energy Efficiency in Land Use Planning (Tue, September 13, 2022, 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm ADT)
This bilingual training is aimed particularly at professionals and officials working with communities, regions, and development projects. Planners, civil engineers, elected officials and administrators, and people working with development projects are invited to join us for this free online training course. https://www.eventbrite.com/e/promoting-energy-efficiency-in-land-use-planning-training-tickets-365984398187?aff=erelexpmlt&keep_tld=1
Northwest (Cameron, St. Joseph, Maryville, Trenton, Weston)
Northeast (Hannibal, Kirksville, Macon, Mexico, Moberly, Troy)
Kansas City (Blue Springs, Excelsior Springs, Grandview, Gladstone, Kansas City, Lee’s Summit, Liberty, Sedalia, Warrensburg)
- KCEEN’s Webpage, your portal to getting plugged into EE in the KC Area https://www.marc.org/Environment/Solid-Waste/Environmental-Education/KCEEN
- MDC’s list of Nature-based Resources During School Closures
Central (Columbia, Rocheport, Jefferson City, Fulton, Leasburg, Marshall, Sedalia, Osage Beach, Camdenton)
St. Louis (St. Louis, St. Louis Co Cities, Sullivan, Washington)
- MDC’s list of Nature-based Resources During School Closures
- Great Rivers Greenway’s List of their sites good for Class Field Exploration, Sites, Nearby Schools, Learning Elements
Southwest (Bolivar, Branson, Carthage, Joplin, Lebanon, Marshfield, Monett, Nixa, Ozark, Springfield)
Ozark (Cabool, Eminence, Huston, Mountain Grove, Park Hills, Rolla, Saint James, Salem, Waynesville, West Plains, Willow Springs, Winona)
Southeast (Cape Girardeau, Doniphan, Farmington, Hayti, Ironton, Jackson, Kennet, New Madrid, Piedmont, Poplar Bluff, Puxico, Sikeston)
Links to Professional Development Websites (diverse resources found at these sites)
- Missouri Department of Conservation Educator Workshop Page http://nature.mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/teaching/teacher-workshops
- Missouri Department of Conservation Events Page https://mdc.mo.gov/events-s3
- Missouri Project WET http://www.projectwet.missouristate.edu/
- Missouri Project Learning Tree http://www.plt.missouristate.edu
- Missouri Department of Natural Resources Parks Events https://mostateparks.com/events
- Missouri Leopold Education Project https://www.aldoleopold.org/calendar/
- Grow Native Workshops & Events –http://grownative.org/events/
- Kansas City ZooED https://www.kansascityzoo.org/education/educator/
- Kansas City Science Wise Courses http://www.unionstation.org/sciencecity/sciencewise-courses-2018-2019
- Litzsinger Road Ecology Center https://litzsinger.org/
- Missouri Botanical Garden and Shaw Nature Reserve (St. Louis) – http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/learn-discover/students-teachers/teacher-professional-development.aspx
- St Louis Zoo Teacher’s Programs http://www.stlzoo.org/education/forteachers/
- Stream Team Workshops (including Volunteer Water Quality training, statewide)http://www.mostreamteam.org/Whats_Happening.asp
- Center for Ecoliteracyhttps://www.ecoliteracy.org/about